28.2.07

Not A Saving Grace

The gunshot rang loud and clear. It hit the man at my side straight in the face. He fell dead immediately and I followed him to the pavement, diving for safety. It was a blur of blood and screaming, but I couldn’t actually make out who was screaming. I glanced around carefully, knowing the murderer must still be very close. She stood against a tree dressed in a blue spandex suit and her skin was a rich white. She looked beautiful. “What on earth?” I yelled. Her accuracy astounded me. “That was the ghost of my ex-husband,” she said. “I had to finish him off for good.” “Why was he haunting you?” I asked, still clutching the sidewalk. “He found out I was sleeping with another man.” “I see,” I said thoughtfully, and glanced at his body laid out next to mine. He looked unbelievably real. “Why was he dead to begin with?” I asked. “Because my other lover poisoned him.” “Sounds complicated.” “Yes,” she sighed. We were quiet for a minute, maybe thinking the same thoughts. I wasn’t sure if her killing spree was over. “What are you going to do now?” I asked. “Maybe kill someone else,” she said. Just as I thought. “Listen, why don’t you hand the gun over to me? I mean going around shooting ex-lovers and their ghosts is no way to deal with your problems. Besides, you will probably be found out and end up in jail. Let me take your weapon and destroy all its fire. I am a peaceful man. Go home, talk to your new lover about pleasant things, and set some positive goals for your future.” I don’t know what I was saying, but I started to feel like the hero. She liked what I said and tossed the gun in my direction. I had never held a gun before. It felt like a powerful moment in my life. Then for no reason at all, I shot her.

No comments: