6.3.07

Nature's Call

A crystal ball sat on the couch cushions waiting to reveal my fortune. I had just moved to a new apartment and I was busy ripping the tape lips off several boxes. The crystal ball was there when I arrived, patient and shiny. I knew I must handle it with great care and sincerity. After some time I understood it was starting to get annoyed with me, constantly checking the clock and wondering when I would finish. I decided to set aside my teaspoon collection and began focusing on the present. The crystal ball started humming, which actually made the task seem lighter. I sat down and gave it some attention. It began to glow. This is why people keep pets I thought. When my fortune was ready a tiny slip appeared. I thanked the crystal ball because it seemed tired and sad from the procedure. You will move back to the country, was written in pencil on one side. Strange. I had never lived in the country before, but the idea filled me with joy and probably hope. I turned to consult the crystal ball, but it was already asleep. I wondered what I would do there. Then the phone rang, muffled at first, from a box in the far corner.

No comments: