2.11.07

The Gift

A butcher walks into a hospital with a large box and wants to see the doctor. Are you sick? asks the nurse. No, says the butcher. Are you in trouble? she asks. No, he says. So she goes to fetch the doctor. The doctor appears and looks very tired in his baggy slacks. Doctor, the butcher says, I have brought you a holiday ham, and he lifts the wrapped pig out of the box. Goodness, says the doctor, how thoughtful. Thank you, he adds politely, but why are you giving this to me? The butcher knew he would have to explain himself and looks away shyly, Because you saved my wife's life two weeks ago. Of course, I knew you looked familiar, says the doctor, even though it is a lie. Well, thank you, I will share it with my family. Which he does on New Year’s Eve night. And the ham is the most delicious ham the family has ever tasted. The juices run from their lips and they all help themselves to seconds and thirds. I will go tomorrow and thank the butcher again, the doctor decides. So the doctor walks into the butcher's shop and the butcher is waiting behind the counter dressed in a perfectly white apron, arms folded calmly over his belly. The shop is small, only a counter and two stools in the corner. A red tarp is pinned tastefully over the doorway that leads out back. What did the doctor expect? Bloodstains and guts? Well, if it weren’t for the sausage links hanging like fireworks over the counter, he wouldn’t know it was a butcher shop at all. It smells sweet like honey and fruit trees. Your ham was the best ham my family has ever had, thank you so much, the doctor says. You're welcome, replies the butcher, I'm glad you enjoyed it. The doctor turns to go, but asks, Where exactly did you find that pig? And the butcher is quiet before answering, I raised him myself. Ah, I see, says the doctor, like a pet? Yes, like a pet.

3 comments:

margaret said...

i like this story. it is good. the lack of quotations threw me off for a bit, but it was easy to follow after the first few lines. but this one doesnt make sense to me ,"I must go myself and thank the butcher again, the doctor decides."
can i say that?
or should i just keep saying how good it is?

LOVE.

Heidi said...

you're a creative little whippersnaper! me like

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.